<< View previous topic View next topic >>
Share: Del.icio.us  Digg  Google  Spurl  Blink  Furl  Y! MyWeb  
#1   questions on creating a new module
tena
CZ Newbie
tena has been a member for over 20 year's 20 Year Member
usa.gif kansas.gif
0.00 posts per day

I am working on creating a new module and need assistance in how to link the files together. I'm creating a high school reunion website and on this website I want a survey questionaire to be a kind of "Where are they Now" thing for the classmates.

I need a "Where Are They Now" link in the Main Menu for other members to view (but not be able to edit).

My idea was to add the questionairre as a "page 2" to the Your Account/My Info page, that way it is tied in with the member without having to perform other validity checks, and the member can edit the information here.

My questions are:
1. How can I edit the My Account/My Info page to say "Continue" instad of "Save Changes" to go to the next page (the survey page)?
2. Would I just add this to the "edituser.php" file or create a whole new PHP file and href to it?

I'm sure I have other questions but I'm not sure where to begin to ask the right questions. I think I'm making this harder than it has to be.

I've read through the Module creation section of the PHP-Nuke HOWTO which has helped me but not completely.

I hope I have explained what I would like to do clearly enough, but if you need more information or a better explanation just holler.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Back to top Reply with quote
#2   re: questions on creating a new module
Taut
PayPal Donation
CZ Revered Member
 Codezwiz Site Donator
usa.gif california.gif
Fav. Sports Team: SF Giants
0.71 posts per day

I don't know how "deeply" you wanna delve into this project of yours, but your going to need to answer a few questions to get you on the right track.

1. are the answers given in the survey going to be "pulled" and added to another page where everyone can then read everyone's answers?

2. how extensive of a survey are you planning to have? 5 maybe 10 questions answerable by yes or no, or are they more of the "commentary" type?

3. will this survey also include a spot for them to upload photos of themselves, family, pet, etc? Will these uploaded images be placed on their profile page (page where the survey answers will appear) ?

4. how comfortable are you writing code for sql and php?

Mind you, these are just a few of the questions you're going to need to ponder on before you begin this project, there could be more.

#3   Re: re: questions on creating a new module
tena
CZ Newbie
tena has been a member for over 20 year's 20 Year Member
usa.gif kansas.gif
0.00 posts per day

Sorry for the delay'ed reply. I took a few weeks off. My answers are below.

Originally posted by Taut @ Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:32 am:

I don't know how "deeply" you wanna delve into this project of yours, but your going to need to answer a few questions to get you on the right track.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I plan on delving very deep into this project and just need a few nudges in the right direction from time to time.

1. are the answers given in the survey going to be "pulled" and added to another page where everyone can then read everyone's answers?

Yes What I would like to do is be able to pull the answers and put them together into a booklet to hand out. Also I want it viewable by other members via a link in the Main Menu on the website.

2. how extensive of a survey are you planning to have? 5 maybe 10 questions answerable by yes or no, or are they more of the "commentary" type?

There is a combination of boolean, radial, small integer, small text (less than 30 characters), large text (255 characters) and one memo field. I would say the survey will be roughly 30 questions.

3. will this survey also include a spot for them to upload photos of themselves, family, pet, etc? Will these uploaded images be placed on their profile page (page where the survey answers will appear) ?

No. I plan on using Gallery to house photos so it will be completely seperate.

4. how comfortable are you writing code for sql and php?

Well, I'm learning. I'm completely willing to write PHP and SQL code. I'm just not completely fluent in certain aspects. I know other languages and have programmed SQL previously. I just haven't had a working knowledge of PHP.

Mind you, these are just a few of the questions you're going to need to ponder on before you begin this project, there could be more.

I understand completely. I am at a point where I don't know enough to even know the right questions to ask. Thank you for responding to my post. I've been researching various aspects of PHP but I need assistance in putting it all together. Any assistance or information is greatly appreciated.

#4   re: questions on creating a new module
Taut
PayPal Donation
CZ Revered Member
 Codezwiz Site Donator
usa.gif california.gif
Fav. Sports Team: SF Giants
0.71 posts per day

sent ya a PM

Add To: Del.icio.us  Digg  Google  Spurl  Blink  Furl  Y! MyWeb